Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Picasso and Lichenstein?

Yesterday, I forced myself not to think about work and just straight-up, unjustifiably, just plainly relax.
So I brought a blanket to the park and layed out with my two kids and just stared into the sky.
So after some relaxing time, I felt inspired to come home and experiment with a different style of painting.
After many years of painting in a realist type of manner - I really just wanted to play around with some paint, big, black, bold lines (like a coloring book) and what came out was the following painting. It kind of reminds me of Roy Lichtenstein style meets Pablo Picasso (AND Please,do not misunderstand me -  I am not comparing myself to those great artists).
In college, I learned so many different things about painting, drawing and so on, but what I wish, is that I had learned how to break all those rules and just be creative and do whatever I felt like drawing/painting.
When I was a kid, I remember how much I enjoyed coloring. I was a "stay-in-the-lines" kind of color-er, but I did have fun coloring the sky; green, the grass;red, the people; purple. Just crazy - but it was fun and therapeutic -LOL.
So moral of the story today - take some time to relax, get recharged, get creative, let loose, and have fun. Who cares about all the rules you learned or you think you have to learn in art.

2 comments:

M.M.E. said...

I know exactly what you mean. Last week I ditched my pen and ink and went to oil pastels. It didn't turn out THAT well, but it was worth it because it was fun. Your piece turned out pretty well. Nice color palette.

Margie said...

Thanks M.M.E! When I can I will post how I used to draw and paint - this is so the opposite from it, but I found it to be so much fun and relaxing. Good luck with the oil pastels.
By the way, I really like your "Fear Uncloaking part 1.